Social Media is a double edged sword; it is something that requires being maintained full time attention for it to work properly. A list of Social media sites can be at Social Media Sites
It has never been easier to make friends than it is right now, mainly thanks to social networking sites. Just a few decades ago it was pretty tough to connect with people. The rise of mobile phones helped change this, connecting people in a new way, but then social networks sprang up and the whole idea of friendship changed once more and for ever. It’s entirely possible to have hundreds of friends on social media. Social networking sites can help you make and keep friends.
An online profile allows everyone on that social media site it lets other people know of things you have in common, from this likeminded people have set up pages to collaborate information.
October 2016, Kim Kardashian claims it was her misuse of Social Media and 'vows to stop flaunting her wealth on social media after being held at gunpoint in Paris raid
Amelia Heathman from Wired stated Facebook, Twitter and Google are 'failing to tackle extremism', The Home Affairs Select Committee said social networks including Facebook, Twitter and Google need to show a “greater sense of responsibility”
A woman started a social media page called ‘My Pale Skin' where a woman removed make up from her face. A beauty blogger Em Ford started a counter page called #Youlookdisgusting The only Ugly facts are the comments made by other people. Watch Video
once something has been posted to Social media sites it is very difficult to retract, especially if been re posted, bullying and trolling. Having picture tagged with your name that are not you, all have a negative impact on people’s lives.
Social Networking Sites
- Social Media networking sites spread information faster than any other media. Over 50% of people learn about breaking news on social network media. Social media enables the spread of unreliable and false information.
- Social Media networking sites claim people can improve their relationships and make new friends. ‘Also, a study found that excessive Facebook users are more likely to connect or reconnect with other Facebook users, including previous partners, which may lead to emotional and physical cheating.’ According to the study, published in the Journal of Cyber psychology, Behaviour and Social Networking, couples who are just starting out should consider staying away from the site.
- Social media sites help employers find employees and job-seekers find work. Jobvite state. The data shows 93% of hiring managers will review a candidate’s social profile before making a hiring decision. 66% of hiring managers said they would hold poor spelling and grammar on social media sites against candidates. Any disinformation is also likely to affect your chances of attaining a position.
- Some social media sites are not accessible and fail validation from W3c these include the contrast and use of latent tags means disabled people are excluded. In 2017 the exclusion of Social Media to disabled people should be embarrassment to the Social Media provider.
- Social networking site users are vulnerable to security attacks such as hacking, identity theft, and viruses. Social networks do not scan messages for viruses or phishing scams, Ashley Maddison is still being sued for allowing the database to be hacked, and the names printed online. The BBC reported the two individuals committed suicide after their names were released. Other problems exist these include: Bullying, trolling and identity theft.
Some large companies have a team of Social media consultants to manage Social Network 24 hours a day and to make it work to their advantage you have to manage your social network operates 24 hours a day or someone might cause a whole lot of trouble.
The setting up of Social Media sites are very important to get the right message across, At Iain Tait Web Design we can assist with this process.